Our regular blog is back after a summer break. And we are delighted to see government implementing some of our recommendations.
In our Cutting the costs without cutting the services (june 2010) document, we advised:
- Scrapping NHS Direct – Confirmed by government August 29th
- Reviewing & restricting Consultant Merit Awards – announced August 20th
- A cull of Quangos – Consultation launched July 26th
- Closer partnership with Local Authorities – giving power to local people consultation launched July 20th
- Insisting on more efficiencient delivery of care for those with chronic conditions – embedded in the White Paper
- Implementation of Carter report on pathology – announced in a parliamentary debate June 9th (before our paper was published but after it was written).
- Merging emergency call centre activities – one of the trials for the new ‘111’ number is being hosted by an Ambulance Trust
We are still reviewing responses to other recommendations but we are pleased that our evidence and experience-based advice are being listened to and influencing policy. Thank you to all of you who contribute to our work, and if you would like to get invovled, please do get in contact.